Friday, October 26, 2018

Update

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't mentally and emotionally exhausted after today. My heart broke into a thousand tiny pieces. I held it together until I finished work and got into my car. Then, the tears didn't stop for a long while.

I want to be clear before I share, this is an ADULT problem. I do NOT want Bella to know about this. She's 9, let's let her be nine. I'll worry about this situation and carry the burden for all of us. I want her to enjoy her childhood and not worry about insurance or coverage or anything else in the adult realm.

Today, we received the third denial notification for Bella's prosthetic. The first one when we submitted for pre approval. Then the pedi sent in more information and it was still denied. Then our pedi called for a peer to peer... also denied.

Apparently the insurance company says we already own a myoelectric arm and a helper arm. Bella only owns what we call the helper arm. It helps her do things safely, like bear weight on her upper extremities (think push ups, hand stands, cartwheels, tumbling). She also has used it for sports and for jump roping. Our pedi and the doctor there went back and forth about it... pedi says she only owns one and the insurance doctor says she owns two. Apparently it was a rough phone call.

Either way, I have one more chance to complete an appeal process. No pressure.

Why aren't we using Shriners. We had some issues with Shriners (you can read old blog posts to find out details). Shriners in Chicago does not make prosthetics in house, so they send you out which means you pay out of pocket for your prosthetic. Last time, insurance denied us once then approved. It went through insurance and then we paid a portion. So basically at Shriners, its the same process as here so there is absolutely NO benefit for us to drive back and forth to Chicago for fittings when we would still be dealing with the same thing. Does that make sense?

Why won't I agree to a gofundme? Here's the reason: There are a bunch of other families just like us that are fighting with insurance to get a prosthetic covered. I am an educated health care professional, I am a trained advocate, I am the mother of a child with a limb difference, I refuse to settle for no. I will advocate for Bella because she is mine. Advocating for Bella also means I'm telling insurance that this mama is a shark and I'll teach all the mamas and daddies to follow how to be sharks. They've messed with the wrong mama! So me simply paying because insurance is giving me a hell of a hard time, tells them that I will back down and they will win. This is not about winning or losing. This is all about providing EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR ALL! Got that? Good!

So listen United Healthcare, tell me one more time that my child doesn't need a prosthetic. Tell me one more time how you two handed people are telling me what's right for my one handed daughter. Tell me one more time that she doesn't "need" it to be safe. I'll remind you about her neck and head injury in PE from having a limb difference. Tell me one more time that I have other options and when I ask you say "we aren't sure what those options are." Way to educate and empower your customers *big eye roll* You've met the mama shark and I certainly hope you are ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of being a mama

Being a parent is NO joke. I just had a conversation with one of my aunts about how as parents we do the very best we can and sometimes its ...