Friday, April 20, 2018

Limb Difference Awareness Month

April is Limb Difference Awareness month. Thanks to Jen at Born Just Right, she created a great image to share.

In all honesty, aren't we all unicorns? I'd like to think so! When thinking about what I could share with you this month, I tried to think about what I wish you knew...

I wish you knew the heartache I felt when Bella was in utero and the tech said "It's a girl BUT..." I wish they could've just left it at that for that one little moment. I wish that I notice the look on the ultrasound tech's face. I wish that for a moment I could just enjoy that my first born child was a girl instead of worrying about the BUT... That moment was stolen away in an instant... BUT here's what I learned. Being born with a limb difference does not define our daughter. Here's what defines our daughter:

She's got a heart of gold.

She genuinely cares about what other people feel and how the things she says and does effects people. Sometimes it's after the fact but she's quick to think about it and reflect. She learns and grows from those things.

She loves music, mostly country music. She loves dancing with her daddy in the kitchen and dancing with her mama in the aisle at church.

She'd be a fruititarian if she could. She's not a giant fan of veggies or of meats. Textures can be a little weird and turn her off totally from a food (she might get that from me!). Sometimes she'll venture out and try new things but mostly, she likes the things she likes and she knows it.

She thinks her mom doesn't use math. :) It's true, she thinks I don't use math all the time in my job and always is quick to tell me I don't know third grade math (heck sometimes I don't) but math is not her favorite subject.

She likes history. She likes learning about the history of our country and has a knack for people that are famous in our country, like Helen Keller and George Washington. She loves reading about history and hearing about history.

She knows her teacher is a bit strict but that she's the perfect teacher for her. She knows how to push Bella to do her best work and how to give her space when she needs it.

She doesn't like to be treated different. She might not do things the same way you would, or I would... but there's a million ways to do one task and accomplish great results.

She's not a girl with a limb difference. She has a name and a million other traits that make her unique. She's a girl who happens to be born a little different but that doesn't define her. Don't let your differences define you. Be unique and embrace those qualities!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of being a mama

Being a parent is NO joke. I just had a conversation with one of my aunts about how as parents we do the very best we can and sometimes its ...