Monday, March 5, 2018

Let's talk about weight...

Here's the thing. I only get one Bella. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I only get one chance to teach her, to shape her every growing mind, to challenge her, to push her, to encourage her. I'm her mama and all of those things are my job.

Weight is not something we discuss at our house... Don't get me wrong you'll frequently hear us say "Let's go to the gym and get ripped"... and if you've seen me in a swim suit, I'm anything but ripped. My husband, he's another story. He's in the best shape of his life! That said, weight isn't discussed in the negative at our house like something to lose or gain. We do talk about strength and getting stronger. I might not be "ripped" in any sense of the word, but I do workout, I do lift heavy weights, I do push myself. Why? To me, it's important to see my kids see me taking care of me.

One of my favorite things about Saturday mornings when we aren't camping, is all of us going to the gym together. The kids go to the kids club and Ryan and I get to workout. I love watching my handsome husband do pull ups or whatever else he does. It reminds me that he cares about himself. That he's pushing himself to be stronger. It's something I look forward to each weekend together.

As for me, while I've gotten stronger, I have had little self-control about what goes into my mouth. Or I have control and put too much in... whatever the case may be, I eat my problems, I self soothe with food. It's not something I'm proud of but it's what I've done. It's something I've started working on. I love working out because I feel strong and that makes me feel good. What doesn't make me feel good is the image I find in the mirror.

Two weeks ago, I took steps to get back in control of my food and what I'm eating. I'm feeling great. While I've noticed a change on the scale, it's not something we've discussed. My kids have noticed I'm choosing healthier options and more veggies. They've said stuff about what I'm eating and how I'm eating SOOOO many veggies and fruits :)


Here's what Bella did say as I was changing "Mom, I've noticed that your belly doesn't hang over your underwear any more. Good job."

"Thanks babe" I wanted to die laughing because how honest are kids? Super honest, that's how! Either way, she's noticed my body changing shape. She's noticing the choices that I'm making. We still won't talk about weight. We'll talk about the process of getting healthier and making better choices.

Cheers to not having anything hanging over my underwear!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of being a mama

Being a parent is NO joke. I just had a conversation with one of my aunts about how as parents we do the very best we can and sometimes its ...