Saturday, June 18, 2016

Keepin' it real

At a gathering of friend's the other day, I was told "thanks for keeping it real". I said "what do you mean?" I had no idea what this chic was talking about. Turns out, she was talking about my Facebook updates. She said that I made her feel real and that life could be a struggle instead of roses and sunshine daily. We both got a good laugh when talking about our kids and the things they say or do. I joked that our youngest may have a page in his baby book that says "Stuff I broke"!

Honestly, I never have had much of a filter... that can be bad... or good. In this case, it was good for her. I see lots of people's profiles painted with happiness and love. Often times I wonder how on God's green earth everything comes up daisies for them when there are days I'm wondering if I should add vodka to the lemonade I made out of the lemons I was handed. While I still enjoy their posts and updates, I wonder why we all don't just keep it real. I like hearing about real life stuff, reading about people's struggles and triumphs. I honestly believe that many of my happiest and saddest moments are what truly define me.

Why do we feel that we must paint the happiest of pictures? When I read about their super happy life I wonder if they are trying to put on a show or if that really is their life. (Can I just say, if it's the second, I may have the urge to punch them.) I also wonder why people feel that they need to put on a show. What's the point? Can't we just embrace being who and what we are? I don't drive a corvette or live in a fancy house. I drive a minivan (yay mom of 3) and live in an older ranch. Our house is home because we've made it home, we've filled it with love and laughter. We've also at times filled it with heartache and tears. I am me and we are us. There's no reason for me to paint you a picture of what I think we should be. There is every reason for me to tell and show you that we embrace our life and who we are as individuals.

 In case you are wondering, I'm currently telling my 3 year old to go to sleep as I have been for the last 30 minutes. I'm wondering why he can't just close his tired little eyes. In case you are wondering about the stuff he's broke, it's a lot! A flooded bathroom, a broken hammer, broken trucks, ripped books, ripped art, peeing on the floor (just last night!), peeing ON his brother, a blowup pool, a blowup toy... the list goes on! Our life is crazy but it's ours. Stop painting a picture, embrace who you are! There is only one you and lots of people love and adore you I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of being a mama

Being a parent is NO joke. I just had a conversation with one of my aunts about how as parents we do the very best we can and sometimes its ...