Wednesday, September 19, 2018

504 meeting update

Our 504 meeting was Tuesday morning. Our 504 team this year included the principal, a district physical therapist, the physical education teacher, the school psychologist (she kind of runs the meeting), Bella's classroom teacher and myself. The only person new to the meeting was Bella's classroom teacher since that changes year to year.



I do not bring my kids to the 504 meetings. I've found that mostly it's boring adult talk... though I forsee that in Bella's future this might be something she wants to be a part of. It will teach her how to advocate for the things that she needs as she gets older. We'll address that when we get there. So, where did the kids go during a meeting at 7:30am? Thankfully I have a fabulous friend and neighbor that watched the boys so they didn't have to be entertained. They love going there so they were thrilled! Bella had her FIRST choir practice, so she was busy as well.

Going into the meeting, I think it's important that I have my own expectation. My expectation ultimately includes Bella staying safe and being cautious with overuse of her right hand. You and I get to do things with both hands, like cleaning, opening a jar or a door, holding things, typing... remember for her, her right hand is taxed with 100% of the work. She's nine now so it might not be a current issue, however I assume it will be an issue as she grows and gets older.

This years meeting was a breeze, like less than 30 minutes! I brought her old plan so I could reference it. The psychologist had her new tentative 504 plan. We whizzed through everything and were done quickly. It was truly a seamless process. I'm so thankful for our school and the people that are passionate about helping our kids succeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of being a mama

Being a parent is NO joke. I just had a conversation with one of my aunts about how as parents we do the very best we can and sometimes its ...