Sunday, January 14, 2018

KonMarie and Sparking Joy

I just finished reading this book... well when I say just, I mean last weekend. I read it on a Friday evening (real exciting Friday nights at our house!) in less than 2 hours. It was a quick easy read.

Last Saturday morning, I pulled ALL of my clothes out of my drawers, my closet, the hall closet, everywhere and started the process. Step one is clothes. Marie Kondo says to empty everything out and I did just that. She says to hold each item and determines if it "sparks joy" or not. If it does, keep it. If it doesn't, it goes. She also says to think about what you are KEEPING and to not think about "giving items away".... It might sound nuts or crazy but it worked. Before I used to purge and think "but I paid X for this" or "But this still has the tags on it" or "maybe someday I'll wear this"... heres the thing, I didn't wear it. It stayed in my closet or my drawers with the tags on. My closet was busting at the seems and my drawers were overflowing.

Let's talk undergarments. I had bras and underwear from pre-kids... my body has changed, boy has it changed! Why was I keeping stuff that wasn't comfortable, that I never wore, that didn't fit at all? I'll tell you why, because I had already paid for it, I felt like why get rid of it. This time, I thought "Do I feel good when I wear this?" "Does it make me happy?" "Does it really spark joy?"... there were so many no's. I filled two target bags with undergarments and tossed them directly in our outside garbage without a second thought. It felt GREAT! It was so freeing!

Next came clothes. Did it fit? If it was no, away it went. Was it comfortable? Again, no, away it went. Did it make me feel good when I wore it? If it was a no, it was a goner. Did it bring me happiness/joy? If no, gone! I took each item and addressed each question. If there was a single no to any of those, it was gone. After that, I hung each item up or folded each item and put it away.

Next up, jewelry. Yes it all fit, don't worry :) Did I like it? Did it bring me joy/happiness? Then I went through and matched my jewelry with the clothes I kept and put it on the hanger with the dress/top so it was all set when I was ready to go. That brought me so much joy, like a ridiculous amount. It's been so nice to pull something out and have the jewelry all ready to go with the dress/outfit. It makes mornings so much easier!

Why am I sharing this? As a women and a mom, there are struggles I face daily. My happiness shouldn't be one of them. I should wake up and feel good when I put my clothes on. I should feel happy when I look in my closet or my drawers, not sadness for what doesn't fit or what doesn't feel good. I don't want to spend my day digging underwear out of my butt because they are uncomfortable. True fact! Now I don't have to!

This may seem silly to you, which is a-okay. You do you! I'll do me! Doing me, means purging for once and for all. It means only living with things that bring me happiness. It means surrounding my world with things I love. I'm working to do that. I want my kids to have a happy mom. I want to have less stress and I think this path will get me there.

Next up, books! (On a side note, I didn't buy that book, I got it from the library. Library= free. It also means not having a book that I'll never read again! Free and less stuff= more happiness)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of being a mama

Being a parent is NO joke. I just had a conversation with one of my aunts about how as parents we do the very best we can and sometimes its ...