Thursday, September 4, 2014

Kindergarten day one

The first day went off without a hiccup. Ryan, Grayson, Luca and I took Bella to school and walked her down the hall and into her class. As her mom, I could tell she was nervous.

"Hold my hand!"

"Hold my hand TIGHTER!"

She walked into the school hand in hand with Daddy and Grayson and I carried Luca. She was dressed in a beautiful outfit her Tutu bought that had a bright yellow tutu and a white top with ruffles on the sleeves and a big bright flower on the front, her hair in pigtails. Where had our baby gone? Who was this big girl walking into school?

We walked into the classroom and got settled. Unloaded her backpack and hung it on her hook, sat the treats for the class on the table and got her situated in her seat with the other 3 littles waiting at her table. We kissed her goodbye...

"Wait I need to go potty!"
"Come in here with me!"
"Adults can't come into the kid bathroom, we'll wait right here for you and we won't leave" said her Daddy.
"Don't worry honey, we'll be right here when you come out," I told her.About 12 seconds later the door opened to an unflushed toilet.
"You have to flush. Did you wash your hands?" Daddy asked.
"No, don't leave!"
"We won't but you have to flush and wash" he told her. Once again she got settled back at her seat. Daddy hugged and kissed her and so did I. 

"Just one more hug and kiss mom" and I proceeded to hug and kiss her and take a picture.
"Ok... no wait, ONE more!" once again, I kissed and hugged her. I held back the tears. We blew kisses from the door way with well wishes "Have a great day, we'll be waiting for you at the bus stop!" Down the hall the four of us walked. What a lonely day I would have without my girl, I thought. My heart raced, my eyes welled up. Please God, don't let me cry until I get outside, I begged. My feet hit the blacktop of the parking lot and tears rolled down my cheeks. How could I just leave her? With a stranger! Ryan poked fun "You're going to get dehydrated!" Tears continued to roll. Then the ugly cry.

"Are you sad Mama?" Grayson asked me.
"No honey, I'm happy for her. She's going to have lots of fun. I just miss her already"
"When is Bella coming back?" He asked

"When school is over, after naps for you" I told him. Many times that day I heard the same question "when is Bella coming home?" and I replied the same way each time.

Then up the driveway she strolled. Her bus was EARLY! We completely missed her getting off the bus at the end of the street, our neighbor, who happens to be her best buds dad, got her off the bus with his daughter and walked them both home. OMG Seriously? Parent fail!!

Her favorite part of the day: Riding the bus with Hannah and the "Totally awesome playground"
Her least favorite part of the day: Leaving us

As I tucked her into bed that night, we talked at length about her day. She said "Mom, I think it's a good idea if you do come to my class and talk. The kids ask lots of questions about my hand and I get tired of it. Maybe you should come tell them like tomorrow". I explained that I would talk to her teacher and see what day worked best for her and the class to have time to listen.

"One kid was a little scared, Mom. He said my little hand was scary" I assured her that it wasn't scary, that it was just new to him, like he was new to her. He was learning about her. He didn't know how she was born different and I bet there were different things about him that she would learn about too. I assured her that people just had to ask questions to learn and I would tell him not to be scared. She was perfect and I would tell him that, I promised.

TO BE CONTINUED... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of being a mama

Being a parent is NO joke. I just had a conversation with one of my aunts about how as parents we do the very best we can and sometimes its ...