Monday, January 11, 2016

When I grow up...


Bella and I have had multiple conversations over the course of the last week about what she wants to be when she grows up. She has brought it up in random conversations. Tonight, while we were sitting in bed reading another Junie B. Jones book, she brought it up again.

"Mom, when I grow up, I'm going to be like Ms. C."

"Really Boo, why's that?"

"Because I want to be just like her and help kids like Shannon" (*name was changed to protect her sweet classmate*)

"Well that's really sweet Bug. I know you would be awesome at that. When I was younger, I really wanted to help other people too. That's why I went to be a nurse."

"Well I really want to help kids like Shannon learn, I want to be Ms. C."

Ms. C. helps Shannon, who is autistic. Shannon has occasional outbursts. Bella loves reading to her even if she doesn't look at Bella or speak back to her. Bella says "She can hear me even if she doesn't look at me or act like she's listening". Bella looks up to Ms. C for the work she does with Shannon. She watches Ms. C do activities with Shannon, interact with her, teach her, play games with her, help her and calm her.

Back to reading Junie B. we went. We finished up reading and then snuggled. I swear, I love this kid. I love all of my kids, not one more than the other. I'm happy to hear Bella gravitating towards kids who are mentally different from her and wanting to help them. I know whatever she choses to be when she grows up, she'll excel. She's hard headed and stubborn. She's strong and loving. She's caring and kind. I'm blessed that she's mine. Whatever she choses to be when she grows up, those people will be blessed to have her too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of being a mama

Being a parent is NO joke. I just had a conversation with one of my aunts about how as parents we do the very best we can and sometimes its ...