Thursday, January 14, 2016

Switched at birth


I'm currently obsessed with the Netflix show Switched at Birth. Have you seen it? It's about two girls who were switched at birth. One had meningitis and ended up deaf from the medications. It came out in one of the episodes that her mother didn't chose to have cochlear implant surgery for her. The other mother said that she should have done it to give her daughter the best.

My eyes welled up with tears. I wonder if people think that we didn't give Bella the best because we chose not to consider prosthetics for her. I wondered if people judged us for the decision we made. Although, do I care? It does hurt to think that people judge your decisions as a parent for YOUR child. That's the thing though, it happens every.single.day.

Mothers judge other mothers. Did you breastfeed or formula feed? Is breast really best? Do you put your child in a car seat with their coat? Do you feel all organic, all natural? Did you cloth diaper or disposable diaper? Do you use natural baby wash? Do you use fancy, expensive diaper creams and lotions? Did you exercise and eat right during your pregnancy? Did you sit on the couch and eat bon bons? Do you spank? Do time outs? Did your child walk at a year? Did they meet all of their milestones right on time?


Life is hard, motherhood is hard, parenting is hard. In fact, it's the hardest job I've ever had in my entire life. Throw in a child that's a bit different and then see what happens. There's no instruction book. There was no right or wrong way to deal with Bella's limb difference. There's no right or wrong way to deal with Luca trying to sleep with me every.single.night.

In the end, should the mom have done the cochlear implant? Honestly, I think she made the very best decision she could at the time for her child. She did what she thought was best for her daughter. Aren't we all just trying to do what we think or feel is best for our child?



No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of being a mama

Being a parent is NO joke. I just had a conversation with one of my aunts about how as parents we do the very best we can and sometimes its ...