Friday, April 7, 2017

Beauty and the Beast review

I keep seeing posts with friends asking "Is Beauty and the Beast too scary for my child?" We watched it and couldn't love it enough! It was a really great and engaging movie. It's very much like the cartoon movie... only not a cartoon.


Luca and Grayson were fully engaged. They both sat quietly and watched... well that's not the whole truth. Luca talks 24/7... yep like even in his sleep. So there were times when we had to say "Oh shh watch the movie, let's see what happens next". Like multiple times. He wanted to talk about what was happening and what he thought was going to happen next. Grayson on the other hand like our chill easy going guy, just watched and sat quietly.

Bella watched quietly and took everything in. Nearing the end of the movie, I saw tears in her eyes.

I whispered "Are you ok?"

"Mom he looks scary but if they really got to know him then they would know he's not" her eyes remained filled with tears. We cuddled a little closer.

"Mom why are they so mean to him without even knowing him? He's SO nice and so caring. He loves Belle. If they talked to him and knew him they wouldn't be afraid."

"It's just a movie  Boo Bear, don't worry" again, I pulled her closer.

At the end of the movie, we talked about it more. I'm so proud of my girl. She asks questions. She thinks deeply about things that effect other people. She cares about other people and how they feel. We've had these talks before about how people do things and it effects us.

I may not win at everything parenting related... actually I don't win at most things. With this, I win. I've done something right with my kids. Compassion is something so many people lack. Thinking about others before yourself is also something I see our society lacking. My girl, she doesn't lack either of those things. While I may not know everything, while I may be constantly learning. I'm winning at this. Treating people how you want to be treated and thinking about others feelings.

As for the movie, there are "scary parts" or parts that kids may find unsettling. The movie itself is not scary. It shows love and compassion. I highly recommend it! Our youngest is 4 and he really enjoyed it... well minus the talking but I don't think that's going away any time soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of being a mama

Being a parent is NO joke. I just had a conversation with one of my aunts about how as parents we do the very best we can and sometimes its ...