Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Back to school!

Today is a big day at our house! ALL of the kids will be in school. While I know there are mamas who sit and cry in the corner over their last baby starting school, I'm not one of them. I get it, I really, really do. I empathize with you but I will not be the mama sitting with you.

While I get that your last baby is going to school, I'm embracing this phase in our life. I've embraced each phase as it's come and as it's gone. I realize my days of spending all day with my last baby are done, I get to celebrate and appreciate him a whole new way.

Luca is beyond ready to start kindergarten. I've been told before that he needs the stimulation. He's quick to learn and loves making friends. Heck, after less than a day, he learned to tie his shoe. I think he'll pick up the school routine quickly. Maybe not easily, but he'll get the hang of it quickly. The morning bustle, the getting on the bus, getting off the bus, finding his way, meeting new friends, embracing a different kind of routine, then coming home and all that comes along with end of the day stuff.

A new school year means new things for everyone. It means seeing old friends. It means welcoming and making new friends, which we've already accomplished this summer! It means new schedules, fresh lunches, routines, schedules, new teachers, new classmates. It's really exciting. I try to build up the excitement a lot at home, especially about how amazing their teachers will be. I really value and appreciate our teachers, which is another story.

Mama starts a new semester today too. It's hard to believe I've been teaching full time for almost 3 years. With each semester means changes as well. A new student group, a new schedule, new colleagues and old friends. I get a "fresh start" with each new trimester, it's kind of exciting and fun in my opinion.

I've asked Bella about talking to her class. I've done this EVERY YEAR since kindergarten. Here's the thing, this year I asked and she asked to wait and see.

"Mom I mostly know every one. I mean there are 3 new kids but let's just wait and see how the first day goes."

While I died a little inside, I watched her sweet little face. She was confident and strong. She was brave and happy. She is growing up and she's becoming more certain of who she is and what she wants. This makes me one proud mama. I'll keep you all posted on her final decision in the days to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of being a mama

Being a parent is NO joke. I just had a conversation with one of my aunts about how as parents we do the very best we can and sometimes its ...