Friday, December 26, 2014

My heart just skipped a beat

I was in the middle of a job application that asked you to fill a portion on disabilities. I scrolled quickly past then stopped and scrolled back up... My heart skipped a beat, or maybe it stopped, but I'm pretty sure I'm having palpitations currently. Do you see what I see?
___________________________________________________________
You are considered to have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment or medical condition that substantially limits a major life activity, or if you have a history or record of such an impairment or medical condition.
Disabilities include, but are not limited to:
  • Blindness
  • Deafness
  • Cancer
  • Diabetes
  • Epilepsy
  • Autism
  • Cerebral palsy
  • HIV/AIDS
  • Schizophrenia
  • Muscular dystrophy
  • Bipolar disorder
  • Major depression
  • Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
  • Missing limbs or partially missing limbs
  • Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
  • Obsessive compulsive disorder
  • Impairments requiring the use of a wheelchair
  • Intellectual disability (previously called mental retardation)

I'm not sure I understand how "Missing limbs or partially missing limbs" is considered a disability. How does this "substantially limits a major life activity"?  My heart is aching for my daughter. How is she limited? There is not a single thing that she hasn't been able to do yet. She does everything every other 5 1/2 year old little girl does. It doesn't "limit" her life or her activities in the slightest. This stopped me in my tracks. It crushed me to my core. I still can't understand this... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of being a mama

Being a parent is NO joke. I just had a conversation with one of my aunts about how as parents we do the very best we can and sometimes its ...